Quick summary: In this activity students role-play animals of the ocean and are asked to think about how these creatures interact with each other, and how these interactions are important to the life and health of the ocean.
- Students understand that marine animals interact with other animals and with the reef.
- Students recognise that marine creatures play an important role in keeping our oceans healthy.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 1 Science:
- Living things live in different places where their needs are met (ACSSU211)
- Use a range of methods to sort information, including drawings and provided tables (ACSIS027)
Year 2 Science:
- Use a range of methods to sort information, including drawings and provided tables (ACSIS040)
- Living things grow, change and have offspring similar to themselves (ACSSU030)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST1-4WS, ST1-10LW, ST1-11LW.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Time required: 30 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – facilitate activity.
Resources required: Open space, white or blackboard, art materials.
Keywords: Games, fun, interaction, dolphins, sharks, whales, fish, stingray, crabs, turtle.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.