Quick summary: Students create a class mural for their school that features informative but easy tips on what we can all do to reduce waste.
- Students understand that we can communicate simple waste messages in fun and creative ways.
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 5 English:
- Create literary texts using realistic and fantasy settings and characters that draw on the worlds represented in texts students have experienced (ACELT1612)
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive print and multimodal texts, choosing text structures, language features, images and sound appropriate to purpose and audience (ACELY1704)
Year 5 Science:
- Living things have structural features and adaptations that help them to survive in their environment (ACSSU043)
Year 6 English:
- Participate in and contribute to discussions, clarifying and interrogating ideas, developing and supporting arguments, sharing and evaluating information, experiences and opinions (ACELY1709)
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts, choosing and experimenting with text structures, language features, images and digital resources appropriate to purpose and audience(ACELY1714)
Year 6 Science:
- The growth and survival of living things are affected by the physical conditions of their environment (ACSSU094)
Time required: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Low – Assist students with mural.
Resources required: Large mural site or paper covered wall, arts materials.
Digital learning opportunities: Use digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for extension.
Safety: Students review safety code if outdoors.
Keywords: Waste, recycling, school, graffiti, mural.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.