Quick summary: In this activity students prepare a plan for improving the Earth’s ability to win prior to seeing the movie The Earth Wins. They then update their plan after watching the film and create a presentation of their ideas and suggestions to share with the class.
- Students recognise that the future health of the Earth requires human participation and action.
- Students understand that they can take action to help our environment.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 5 Science
- Living things have structural features and adaptations that help them to survive in their environment (ACSSU043)
- Scientific understandings, discoveries and inventions are used to solve problems that directly affect peoples’ lives (ACSHE083)
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE217)
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS093)
Year 6 Science
- The growth and survival of living things are affected by the physical conditions of their environment (ACSSU094)
- Sudden geological changes or extreme weather conditions can affect Earth’s surface (ACSSU096)
- Scientific understandings, discoveries and inventions are used to solve problems that directly affect peoples’ lives (ACSHE100)
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE220)
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS110)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST3-7PW, ST3-6PW, ST3-4WS, ST3-10LW, ST3-11LWS, T3-9ES.
Topic: The Earth Wins
Time required: 60 mins – this activity requires additional time to watch the film; The Earth Wins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Low – oversee activity
Resources required: Access to the film The Earth Wins, computer access.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Keywords: The Earth Wins, Earth, environment, action.
This lesson was created in collaboration with Helifilms to support learning from the film.
Would you like to bring your class to see The Earth Wins? It’s now available ‘on-demand’ to teachers across Australia. To register your interest, simply email firstname.lastname@example.org, mention how many students you’re likely to bring and your ideal date/time for a screening. We’ll look into bringing The Earth Wins to a cinema close to you… wherever you may be in Australia.