Quick summary: Students explore water plumbing on a home plan. They identify the water usage and locate where they would place a water tank.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- Water outlets can be found at locations where water is needed.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 3 Mathematics
- Create and interpret simple grid maps to show position and pathways (ACMMG065)
Year 3 Science
- With guidance, identify questions in familiar contexts that can be investigated scientifically and predict what might happen based on prior knowledge (ACSIS053)
Year 4 Mathematics
- Use simple scales, legends and directions to interpret information contained in basic maps (ACMMG090)
Year 4 Science
- With guidance, identify questions in familiar contexts that can be investigated scientifically and predict what might happen based on prior knowledge (ACSIS064)
Syllabus outcomes: ST2-4WS, MA2-17MG, MA2‑2WM.
Year levels: 3 and 4
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 30 mins
Learning areas addressed: Geography, Mathematics.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Assist students with understanding the house plan.
Resources required: Colour markers, printed activity sheet.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for extension.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.