Quick summary: Students appreciate and understand the variety and quantity of resources that come together to manufacture a mobile phone. They will be introduced to the idea that products have life cycles and will be encouraged to consider the impact of the product life cycle on the environment.
Following this lesson plan is an ideal way for your school to take part in MobileMuster. You’ll be joining thousands of amazing teachers in making a difference and creating positive environmental change. Take part in the Schools Recycling Right Challenge for Planet Ark’s National Recycling Week. Register your lesson or other activities today!
- Students understand that it takes a lot of resources to produce a mobile phone;
- Students see that there is a life cycle to every mobile phone;
- Students will understand that the life cycle of a mobile phone impacts our environment.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 5 Science:
- Important contributions to the advancement of science have been made by people from a range of cultures (ACSHE082)
- Scientific understandings, discoveries and inventions are used to solve problems that directly affect peoples’ lives (ACSHE083)
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE217)
Year 6 Science:
- Electrical circuits provide a means of transferring and transforming electricity (ACSSU097)
- Important contributions to the advancement of science have been made by people from a range of cultures (ACSHE099)
- Scientific understandings, discoveries and inventions are used to solve problems that directly affect peoples’ lives (ACSHE100)
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE220)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST3-8ES, ST3-7PW, ST3-6PW.
Topic: Consumption, recycling, waste.
Time required: 2 – 4 lessons
Digital learning opportunities: TED Talks: Sustainability by design.
Homework and extension opportunities: Visit the Vodafone Eco Rating site and look at how you can calculate the mobile phone’s impact on the environment.
Keywords: Waste, litter, e-waste, mobile phone, consumption, MobileMuster.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.