Quick summary: Students examine the global systems (interactions involving the biosphere, lithosphere, hydrosphere and atmosphere) to see how changes to the global systems can potentially impact on the hydrosphere or water cycle. They look for connections between the carbon cycle ie climate change and how this could impact on water resources. They draw conclusions about the link between climate change and water supply and the time scale over which change might occur.
- Students will understand how the interactions involving the biosphere, hydrosphere and atmosphere influences the availability of water resources.
- Students will recognise the links between changes to atmosphere (ie greenhouse gasses and climate change) with potential changes in rainfall.
- Students will develop suggested timescales that might be involved with climate change.
- Students propose ways people in Australia will adapt to changes in rainfall patterns and higher evaporation rates.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 9 Science
- People can use scientific knowledge to evaluate whether they should accept claims, explanations or predictions (ACSHE160)
- Critically analyse the validity of information in secondary sources and evaluate the approaches used to solve problems (ACSIS172)
Year 10 Science
- Global systems, including the carbon cycle, rely on interactions involving the biosphere, lithosphere, hydrosphere and atmosphere (ACSSU189)
- People can use scientific knowledge to evaluate whether they should accept claims, explanations or predictions (ACSHE194)
- Critically analyse the validity of information in secondary sources and evaluate the approaches used to solve problems (ACSIS206)
Syllabus Outcomes: SC5-13ES, SC5-7WS, SC5-8WS, SC5-12ES, EN5-2A.
Year levels: 9 and 10
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 45+ mins
Learning areas addressed: Science, Geography.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Assist students with research and engage students in a discussion around their results.
Resources required: Internet, writing materials and Student Worksheet.
Homework and extension opportunities: Part of this activity can be completed as homework.
Keywords: water, biosphere, lithosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere, water cycle, climate change, weather, climate, report, PowerPoint.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.