Quick summary: Students will transfer information from Hydro Tasmania’s website onto a map. They are asked to access information about Hydro Tasmania’s activities around Tasmania and add these details to a blank map of Tasmania.
Hydro Tasmania has been at the forefront of clean energy innovation for one hundred years. It is Australia’s largest producer of clean energy – generating hydro and wind power – and the largest water manager. Hydro Tasmania has 55 major dams, operates 30 hydropower stations and has built some of Australia’s largest wind farms.
Hydro Tasmania also sells energy in the National Electricity Market through its retail business Momentum Energy, and sells its expertise internationally through its consulting business Entura. Visit the Hydro Tasmania website to learn how the business is working towards Australia’s clean energy future.
- Students will develop skills in research, map reading and map construction.
General capabilities: Literacy, Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.8.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 5 Geography
- Locate and collect relevant information and data from primary and secondary sources (ACHASSI095)
- Present ideas, findings, viewpoints and conclusions in a range of texts and modes that incorporate source materials, digital and non-digital representations and discipline-specific terms and conventions (ACHASSI105).
Year 6 Geography
- Organise and represent data in a range of formats including tables, graphs and large- and small-scale maps, using discipline-appropriate conventions (ACHASSI096)
- Interpret data and information displayed in a range of formats to identify, describe and compare distributions, patterns and trends, and to infer relationships (ACHASSI128).
- Evaluate evidence to draw conclusions(ACHASSI129)
Syllabus Outcomes: GE3-4.
Topic: Hydro Tasmania, Energy.
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – oversee activity.
Resources required: Internet access, access to computers/tablets for online research, Student Worksheet (one copy per student OR computers/tablets to access the online worksheet), map of Hydro Tasmania’s activities.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: Includes opportunities for homework and extension.
Keywords: Energy, hydropower, Hydro Tasmania, map.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.