Quick summary: Students will apply their comprehension of information texts and maps to create a travel itinerary. Students will undertake research online to find the information needed to create their itinerary.
Hydro Tasmania has been at the forefront of clean energy innovation for one hundred years. It is Australia’s largest producer of clean energy – generating hydro and wind power – and the largest water manager. Hydro Tasmania has 55 major dams, operates 30 hydropower stations and has built some of Australia’s largest wind farms.
Hydro Tasmania also sells energy in the National Electricity Market through its retail business Momentum Energy, and sells its expertise internationally through its consulting business Entura. Visit the Hydro Tasmania website to learn how the business is working towards Australia’s clean energy future.
This lesson is designed to foster students’ capabilities in finding facts, interpreting information, reading maps and applying text-processing strategies.
General capabilities: Literacy, Numeracy, Critical and creative thinking, Ethical understanding.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.7.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 5 English
- Use comprehension strategies to analyse information, integrating and linking ideas from a variety of print and digital sources (ACELY1703).
Year 6 English
- Select, navigate and read texts for a range of purposes, applying appropriate text processing strategies and interpreting structural features, for example table of contents, glossary, chapters, headings and subheadings (ACELY1712).
- Use comprehension strategies to interpret and analyse information and ideas, comparing content from a variety of textual sources including media and digital texts (ACELY1713).
Year 5 Geography
- Use criteria to make decisions and judgements and consider advantages and disadvantages of preferring one decision over others (ACHASSI103)
- Present ideas, findings, viewpoints and conclusions in a range of texts and modes that incorporate source materials, digital and non-digital representations and discipline-specific terms and conventions (ACHASSI105)
Year 6 Geography
- Interpret data and information displayed in a range of formats to identify, describe and compare distributions, patterns and trends, and to infer relationships (ACHASSI128)
- Evaluate evidence to draw conclusions(ACHASSI129)
Topic: Hydro Tasmania, Energy.
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – oversee activity.
Resources required: Internet access, access to computers/tablets for online research, Student Worksheet (one copy per student OR computers/tablets to access the online worksheet).
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: Includes opportunities for homework and extension.
Keywords: Energy, hydropower, travel, Hydro Tasmania.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.