Quick summary: Students bring together their ideas about how they use electricity and discuss alternatives to this use.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- Students conclude there are some things for which we depend on electricity and for other things we can come up with alternatives?
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 1 Science
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE022)
Year 1 English
- Create short imaginative and informative texts that show emerging use of appropriate text structure, sentence-level grammar, word choice, spelling, punctuation and appropriate multimodal elements, for example illustrations and diagrams (ACELY1661)
Year 2 Science
- Earth’s resources, including water, are used in a variety of ways (ACSSU032)
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE035)
Year 2 English
- Create short imaginative, informative and persuasive texts using growing knowledge of text structures and language features for familiar and some less familiar audiences, selecting print and multimodal elements appropriate to the audience and purpose (ACELY1671)
Year levels: 1 and 2
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 25 mins
Learning areas addressed: Geography, Science.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Assist students with Worksheet.
Resources required: Printed activity sheet (some students may get through two) writing and colouring materials, if it is in the classroom you can use a smartboard.
Keywords: Energy, Electricity, conservation.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.