Quick summary: Groups of students choose a water related website. They evaluate the website using selected criteria. They make recommendations on how the website could be improved and forward their suggestions to the organisation.
- Website materials are evaluated to see if they help and are relevant to the intended users.
- Website design is evaluated to identify how easy it is to navigate and find required information.
- Solutions are identified in weaknesses in the website.
- New ideas are proposed to make the site more interesting.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 9 Science
- Critically analyse the validity of information in secondary sources and evaluate the approaches used to solve problems (ACSIS172)
- Communicate scientific ideas and information for a particular purpose, including constructing evidence-based arguments and using appropriate scientific language, conventions and representations (ACSIS174)
Year 9 English
- Interpret, analyse and evaluate how different perspectives of issue, event, situation, individuals or groups are constructed to serve specific purposes in texts (ACELY1742)
Year 10 Science
- Critically analyse the validity of information in secondary sources and evaluate the approaches used to solve problems (ACSIS206)
- Communicate scientific ideas and information for a particular purpose, including constructing evidence-based arguments and using appropriate scientific language, conventions and representations (ACSIS208)
Year 10 English
- Use comprehension strategies to compare and contrast information within and between texts, identifying and analysing embedded perspectives, and evaluating supporting evidence (ACELY1754)
Year levels: 9 and 10
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 45 mins.
Learning areas addressed: ICT, Science, Geography, English, Civics and Citizenship.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Assist students in choosing websites to evaluate. May need to be responsible for communicating with organisations.
Resources required: Internet.
Homework and extension opportunities: Part of this activity could be assigned as homework.
Keywords: Water, Website, Evaluate, Conservation, Communication, Consumption, Recommendation.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
Copyright 2016© Cool Australia. You may view, display, printout and copy this material for non-commercial educational purposes provided you retain all acknowledgement associated with this material.