Quick summary: Students use the Cool Australia Digital Toolbox – Energy to investigate some big issues around how we create and use energy. Students are then asked to create a podcast, video, infographic or presentation in order to share the results of their research. This activity can be used as an extension activity or as homework.
- How does our reliance on energy generated from fossil fuels impact our environment?
- What actions can we take to reduce our personal consumption of energy?
- How does using renewable energy help our environment?
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 5 Science
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS093)
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE217)
Year 5 English
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive print and multimodal texts, choosing text structures, language features, images and sound appropriate to purpose and audience (ACELY1704)
Year 6 Science
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS110)
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE220)
Year 6 English
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts, choosing and experimenting with text structures, language features, images and digital resources appropriate to purpose and audience (ACELY1714)
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking, Literacy.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.6, OI.8.
Relevant parts of Year 5 Science achievement standards: Students discuss how scientific developments help us solve problems, and communicate their ideas and findings using multimodal texts.
Relevant parts of Year 5 English achievement standards: Students create imaginative, informative and persuasive texts for different purposes and audiences.
Relevant parts of Year 6 Science achievement standards: Students explain how scientific knowledge helps us to solve problems and inform decisions, construct multimodal texts to communicate ideas, methods and findings.
Relevant parts of Year 6 English achievement standards: Students create detailed texts elaborating on key ideas for a range of purposes and audiences.
Time required: up to 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Lead the students in activity.
Resources required: Student Worksheet – one copy per student OR computers/tablets to access the online worksheet.
Keywords: Energy, savings, conservation, reduction.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.