Quick summary: Students use the Cool Australia Digital Toolbox – Energy to investigate some big issues around how we create and use energy. Students are then asked to create a podcast, video, infographic or presentation in order to share the results of their research. This activity can be used as an extension activity or as homework.
We’ve taken elements of this lesson and adapted them for remote learning. You can find this activity here.
- How does our reliance on energy generated from fossil fuels impact our environment?
- What actions can we take to reduce our personal consumption of energy?
- How does using renewable energy help our environment?
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 5 Science
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS093)
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE083)
Year 5 English
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive print and multimodal texts, choosing text structures, language features, images and sound appropriate to purpose and audience (ACELY1704)
Year 6 Science
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS110)
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE100)
Year 6 English
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts, choosing and experimenting with text structures, language features, images and digital resources appropriate to purpose and audience (ACELY1714)
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking, Literacy.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.6, OI.8.
Relevant parts of Year 5 Science achievement standards: Students discuss how scientific developments help us solve problems, and communicate their ideas and findings using multimodal texts.
Relevant parts of Year 5 English achievement standards: Students create imaginative, informative and persuasive texts for different purposes and audiences.
Relevant parts of Year 6 Science achievement standards: Students explain how scientific knowledge helps us to solve problems and inform decisions, construct multimodal texts to communicate ideas, methods and findings.
Relevant parts of Year 6 English achievement standards: Students create detailed texts elaborating on key ideas for a range of purposes and audiences.
Time required: up to 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Lead the students in activity.
Resources required: Student Worksheet – one copy per student OR computers/tablets to access the online worksheet.
Keywords: Energy, savings, conservation, reduction.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.