Quick summary: Do places like Brazil and Finland have their own version of the classic Vegemite sandwich? In this lesson, students examine what lunchboxes look like from different parts of the world, and learn how to use healthy eating patterns as a guide for making up their own lunchbox.
The Heart Foundation’s ready-made skipping program, Jump Rope for Heart, helps primary school students move more and have fun, while they raise funds for heart research, patient support and programs that help save lives.
- Students understand that our bodies need a variety of foods to stay healthy
- Students understand the five parts of the Heart-Healthy Eating Patterns.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Foundation Year Health and Physical Education:
- Identify actions that promote health, safety and wellbeing (ACPPS006)
Years 1 & 2 Health and Physical Education:
- Recognise situations and opportunities to promote health, safety and wellbeing (ACPPS018)
- Explore actions that help make the classroom a healthy, safe and active place (ACPPS022)
Foundation to Year 2 Visual Arts:
- Use and experiment with different materials, techniques, technologies and processes to make artworks (ACAVAM107)
- Create and display artworks to communicate ideas to an audience (ACAVAM108)
General capabilities: Critical and Creative Thinking, Intercultural Understanding
Cross-curriculum priority: Asia and Australia’s Engagement with Asia
Relevant parts of Foundation Year Health and Physical Education achievement standards: Students identify actions that help them be healthy, safe and physically active.
Relevant parts of Foundation Year 1 & 2 Health and Physical Education achievement standards: They examine messages related to health decisions and describe how to keep themselves and others healthy, safe and physically active.
Relevant parts of Foundation to Year 2 Visual Arts achievement standards: Students make artworks in different forms to express their ideas, observations and imagination, using different techniques and processes.
Topic: Health & Wellbeing
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work Jump Rope For Heart: Jump Starters – Years F-2
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – facilitate class discussion and lead student discovery of content.
- Coloured paper
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Food Flash Cards
- Paper plates – one per student
Keywords: food, protein, carbohydrates, vegetables, fruits, lunchbox, health, nutrition
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.