Quick summary: Through the use of a flashcard game, students explore some of the reasons why saving energy is important for our environment. They begin to think about what actions they can take to save energy.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- We need to use energy in our lives, but the less that we use the better for our environment.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 1 Science
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE022)
Year 1 English
- Engage in conversations and discussions, using active listening behaviours, showing interest, and contributing ideas, information and questions (ACELY1656)
- Use comprehension strategies to build literal and inferred meaning about key events, ideas and information in texts that they listen to, view and read by drawing on growing knowledge of context, text structures and language features (ACELY1660)
Year 2 Science
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE035)
Year 2 English
- Listen for specific purposes and information, including instructions, and extend students’ own and others’ ideas in discussions (ACELY1666)
- Use comprehension strategies to build literal and inferred meaning and begin to analyse texts by drawing on growing knowledge of context, language and visual features and print and multimodal text structures (ACELY1670)
Year levels: 1 and 2
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 20 mins
Learning areas addressed: Science, Sustainability.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Lead a class discussion and in an activity around ways of saving energy.
Resources required: Student worksheet cut into pieces.
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Keywords: energy, game, flashcards, electricity.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.