Quick summary: The activity challenges the students to draw together all that they have learned about litter in the unit and communicate about cutting litter to others in the school or the local community.
- Students recognise that litter is unsightly, expensive to clean up, pollutes water ways and can harm people and animals.
- Students learn that there are many ways that we can communicate to others about the benefits of not littering.
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 5 English:
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive print and multimodal texts, choosing text structures, language features, images and sound appropriate to purpose and audience (ACELY1704)
- Use a range of software including word processing programs with fluency to construct, edit and publish written text, and select, edit and place visual, print and audio elements (ACELY1707)
Year 5 Science:
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE217)
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS093)
Year 6 English:
- Participate in and contribute to discussions, clarifying and interrogating ideas, developing and supporting arguments, sharing and evaluating information, experiences and opinions (ACELY1709)
- Use a range of software, including word processing programs, learning new functions as required to create texts (ACELY1717)
Year 6 Science:
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE220)
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS110)
Topic: Solid Waste
Time required: Several classes of 48 mins each.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – facilitate the process.
Resources required: Depending on the communication medium chosen by the students: art materials, computer with internet access, camera, movie camera.
Digital learning opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for extension.
Keywords: Litter, school, community, waste, communication.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.