Quick summary: In this activity students will appreciate how the rapid growth of technology has impacted on the development of mobile phones in a relatively short period of time. Students will understand why mobile phones have changed so rapidly and the repercussions of this on environmental sustainability. In groups students work together to design the next generation of environmentally-friendly mobile phone.
Following this lesson plan is an ideal way for your school to take part in MobileMuster. You’ll be joining thousands of amazing teachers in making a difference and creating positive environmental change. Take part in the Schools Recycling Right Challenge for Planet Ark’s National Recycling Week. Register your lesson or other activities today!
- Students understand how quickly mobile phones have evolved in a short time;
- Students see how human demand has impacted mobile phone production;
- Students will see how mobile phone development through the years has impacted our environment.
Cross Curriculum Priorities: Sustainability OI.3, OI.8.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 5 History:
- Develop appropriate questions to guide an inquiry about people, events, developments, places, systems and challenges (ACHASSI094)
- Locate and collect relevant information and data from primary and secondary sources (ACHASSI095)
- Examine different viewpoints on actions, events, issues and phenomena in the past and present (ACHASSI099)
Year 5 English
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive print and multimodal texts, choosing text structures, language features, images and sound appropriate to purpose and audience (ACELY1704)
- Reread and edit student’s own and others’ work using agreed criteria for text structures and language features (ACELY1705)
- Use a range of software including word processing programs with fluency to construct, edit and publish written text, and select, edit and place visual, print and audio elements (ACELY1707)
Year 6 History:
- Examine primary and secondary sources to determine their origin and purpose (ACHASSI126)
- Locate and collect relevant information and data from primary and secondary sources (ACHASSI123)
Year 6 English:
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts, choosing and experimenting withtext structures, language features, images and digital resources appropriate to purpose and audience (ACELY1714)
- Reread and edit students’ own and others’ work using agreed criteria and explaining editing choices (ACELY1715)
- Use a range of software, including word processing programs, learning new functions as required to create texts (ACELY1717)
Topic: Consumption, National Recycling Week.
Time required: 2 – 4 lessons
Homework and extension opportunities: Using the MobileMuster Resource Recovery Calculator students can calculate the number of mobile phones that would need to be recycled to create some of the everyday items that they use at school or home.
Keywords: Waste, litter, e-waste, mobile phone, consumption, MobileMuster.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.