Quick summary: Students begin to appreciate the resources that can be recovered from mobile phones. Students will interpret data from the MobileMuster program and undertake purposeful investigations when interpreting and analysing the data.
Following this lesson plan is an ideal way for your school to take part in MobileMuster. You’ll be joining thousands of amazing teachers in making a difference and creating positive environmental change. Take part in the Schools Recycling Right Challenge for Planet Ark’s National Recycling Week. Register your lesson or other activities today!
- Students understand the role and impact of resource use;
- Students begin to take responsibility for unwanted resources;
- Students will rethink the concept of waste and brainstorm ways to ‘close the loop’.
General Capabilities: Numeracy, Critical and creative thinking.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 5 Science:
- Science involves testing predictions by gathering data and using evidence to develop explanations of events and phenomena (ACSHE081)
- Scientific knowledge is used to solve problems and inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE083)
- Identify, plan and apply the elements of scientific investigations to answer questions and solve problems using equipment and materials safely and identifying potential risks (ACSIS086)
Year 5 Mathematics:
- Pose questions and collect categorical or numerical data by observation or survey (ACMSP118)
- Construct displays, including column graphs, dot plots and tables, appropriate for data type, with and without the use of digital technologies (ACMSP119)
- Describe and interpret different data sets in context(ACMSP120)
Year 6 Science:
- Electrical energy can be transferred and transformed in electrical circuits and can be generated from a range of sources (ACSSU097)
- Science involves testing predictions by gathering data and using evidence to develop explanations of events and phenomena (ACSHE098)
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE100)
- Identify, plan and apply the elements of scientific investigations to answer questions and solve problems using equipment and materials safely and identifying potential risks (ACSIS103)
Year 6 Mathematics:
- Interpret and compare a range of data displays, including side-by-side column graphs for two categorical variables (ACMSP147)
- Interpret secondary data presented in digital media and elsewhere (ACMSP148)
Topic: Consumption, National Recycling Week
Time required: 2 – 4 lessons
Resources required: Factsheet ‘End products of recycling’
Digital learning opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities, MobileMuster Resource Recovery Calculator, Interactive whiteboard (IWB).
Homework and extension opportunities: Using the MobileMuster Resource Recovery Calculator students can calculate the number of mobile phones that would need to be recycled to create some of the everyday items that they use at school or home.
Keywords: Waste, litter, e-waste, mobile phone, consumption, MobileMuster.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.