Quick summary: Students identify the main ways they can go about reducing their water wastage. They systematically go through all the ways they use water and identify the best way to use it without waste.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- We need to use water often during the day. We can use water so that a lot less is wasted.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 1 Science
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE022)
Year 1 English
- Use comprehension strategies to build literal and inferred meaning about key events, ideas and information in texts that they listen to, view and read by drawing on growing knowledge of context, text structures and language features (ACELY1660)
Year 2 Science
- Earth’s resources, including water, are used in a variety of ways (ACSSU032)
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE035)
Year 2 English
- Use comprehension strategies to build literal and inferred meaning and begin to analyse texts by drawing on growing knowledge of context, language and visual features and print and multimodal text structures (ACELY1670)
Year levels: 1 and 2
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 60 mins
Learning areas addressed: Geography, Science, Health and Physical Education.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Lead the students in a class discussion around water reduction behaviour.
Resources required: Access to a tap, jug.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.