Quick summary: In this activity students work together to identify where their waste comes from. They decide if various classroom items are able to be ‘reused’, ‘recycled’, ‘composted’ or if it is ‘waste’. They take responsibility for the waste generated by their classroom including managing a reuse box.
This lesson has been developed as part of the Schools Recycle Right Challenge for Planet Ark’s National Recycling Week. Register your lesson or other activities so they can be counted towards the national achievement and to receive other free support materials.
- Students recognise the names and components of different waste materials.
- Students learn to sort and name a variety of waste materials.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 1 Science
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE022)
Year 1 Geography
- The natural, managed and constructed features of places, their location, how they change and how they can be cared for (ACHASSK031)
- Reflect on learning to propose how to care for places and sites that are important or significant (ACHASSI026)
Year 1 English
- Engage in conversations and discussions, using active listening behaviours, showing interest, and contributing ideas, information and questions (ACELY1656)
- Use interaction skills including turn-taking, recognising the contributions of others, speaking clearly and using appropriate volume and pace (ACELY1788)
Syllabus Outcomes: GE1-1, GE1-3, ST1-11LW, ST1-9ES, EN1-1A.
Topic: National Recycling Week
Time required: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – keep an eye on students as they practice the 3Rs in their classroom.
Resources required: Classroom containers for rubbish, recycling and a paper reuse box, writing and drawing materials; compost bucket optional depending if the school has a composting system. Optional: items of waste – small plastic bottle, large glass jar, piece of paper, aluminium can. If you don’t have access to these items you can draw them on the board instead.
Keywords: Rubbish, reuse, recycle, waste, compost, aluminium, steel, glass, plastic, code
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
These Planet Ark resources were developed by Cool Australia with funding from the Alcoa Foundation.