Quick summary: In this activity students look at what happens to their lunch waste, learning about the best ways to dispose of their lunch waste and how to avoid littering. Students work as a class to discuss the waste in the lunchboxes, and then work independently to complete a colouring in worksheet around this activity.
This lesson has been developed as part of the Schools Recycle Right Challenge for Planet Ark’s National Recycling Week. Register your lesson or other activities so they can be counted towards the national achievement and to receive other free support materials.
- Students understand that different types of waste can be reused, recycled, composted or treated as rubbish.
- Students understand that different types of waste and should go into different waste containers.
- Students take responsibility for belongings and for avoiding littering.
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Foundation Year Science
- Objects are made of materials that have observable properties (ACSSU003)
- Science involves exploring and observing the world using the senses (ACSHE013)
Foundation Year Geography
- The reasons why some places are special to people, and how they can be looked after (ACHASSK017)
- Reflect on learning to propose how to care for places and sites that are important or significant (ACHASSI009)
Foundation Year English
- Listen to and respond orally to texts and to the communication of others in informal and structured classroom situations (ACELY1646)
- Use interaction skills including listening while others speak, using appropriate voice levels, articulation and body language, gestures and eye contact (ACELY1784)
Topic: National Recycling Week
Time required: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – teachers will need to lead all activities and keep an eye on how students dispose of their waste.
Resources required: Students’ lunches, bins for at least rubbish and recycling, copies of worksheets, appropriate safe scissors and colour markers/pencils.
Digital technology opportunities: None.
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Keywords: Waste, rubbish, recycle, reuse, compost, litter, bin, box, lunchbox.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
These Planet Ark resources were developed by Cool Australia with funding from the Alcoa Foundation.