Quick summary: In this lesson, students explore the impacts of peoples consumer habits and desire for new products. They will learn that our personal resource use can have effects on places and environments throughout the world.
This lesson has been developed as part of the Schools Recycle Right Challenge for Planet Ark’s National Recycling Week. Register your lesson or other activities so they can be counted towards the national achievement and to receive other free support materials.
- Students recognise the persuasive power of advertising and some of the tactics used in advertising.
- Students understand that these tactics can be used to inspire people to consume less instead of more.
- Students share their experiences and inspire others to take action.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 9 English:
- Analyse how the construction and interpretation of texts, including media texts, can be influenced by cultural perspectives and other texts (ACELY1739)
Year 9 Economics and Business:
- How and why businesses seek to create and maintain a competitive advantage in the global market (ACHEK041)
- Reflect on the intended and unintended consequences of economic and business decisions (ACHES049)
Year 10 English:
- Analyse and evaluate how people, cultures, places, events, objects and concepts are represented in texts, including media texts, through language, structural and/or visual choices (ACELY1749)
Year 10 Economics and Business:
- Factors that influence major consumer and financial decisions and the short- and long-term consequences of these decisions (ACHEK053)
- Reflect on the intended and unintended consequences of economic and business decisions (ACHES061)
Year 9 & 10 Design and Technologies:
- Critically analyse factors, including social, ethical and sustainability considerations, that impact on designed solutions for global preferred futures and the complex design and production processes involved (ACTDEK040)
Time needed: 60+ minutes – this activity can be extended over several sessions.
Resources required: Internet, Student Worksheet.
Keywords: National Recycling Week, Resources, Rubbish, Re-using, Recycling, advertising, consumerism.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.