Quick summary: In this lesson, students explore the concept of conflict minerals and gain an understanding of the impact of resources used in the production and consumption of mobile phones. Students will research the Fairphone social enterprise and design a Smartphone based on a more sustainable model.
This lesson has been developed as part of the Schools Recycle Right Challenge for Planet Ark’s National Recycling Week. Register your lesson or other activities so they can be counted towards the national achievement and to receive other free support materials.
- Students understand the role and impact of resource use;
- Students understand the concept of conflict minerals;
- Students begin to take responsibility for sustainable consumption habits.
- Students share their experiences and inspire others to take action.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping:
Year 9 & 10 Design and Technology
- Critically analyse factors, including social, ethical and sustainability considerations, that impact on designed solutions for global preferred futures and the complex design and production processes involved (ACTDEK040)
- Explain how products, services and environments evolve with consideration of preferred futures and the impact of emerging technologies on design decisions (ACTDEK041)
Year 9 Geography:
- The effects of the production and consumption of goods on places and environments throughout the world and including a country from North-East Asia (ACHGK068)
- Present findings, arguments and explanations in a range of appropriate communication forms, selected for their effectiveness and to suit audience and purpose; using relevant geographical terminology, and digital technologies as appropriate (ACHGS070)
Year 10 Geography:
- The environmental worldviews of people and their implications for environmental management (ACHGK071)
- Present findings, arguments and explanations in a range of appropriate communication forms selected for their effectiveness and to suit audience and purpose, using relevant geographical terminology and digital technologies as appropriate (ACHGS079)
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking, Personal and social capability, Ethical understanding.
Topics: Consumption, National Recycling Week.
Time needed: 180 minutes
Key words: National Recycling Week, Resources, Resources, Consumerism, Mobile Muster
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.