Quick summary: Students explore the plumbing in their school, its location and the purpose for various taps. They use a house plan to investigate water in and around homes. They suggest the location of pipes and where they might place a water tank.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- Interpreting a house plan and locating various features on the plan. Linking points together with the fewest number of lines. The water outlets can be found at locations where the water is needed.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 1 Mathematics
- Give and follow directions to familiar locations (ACMMG023)
Year 1 Science
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE022)
Year 2 Mathematics
- Interpret simple maps of familiar locations and identify the relative positions of key features (ACMMG044)
Year 2 Science
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE035)
Year levels: 1 and 2
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 30 mins
Learning areas addressed: Geography, Mathematics
Level of teacher scaffolding: Assist students in interpreting the plan and working out its features.
Resources required: Colour markers, printed activity sheet.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for extension.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.