Quick summary: Students prepare a plan to improve their classroom waste collection system.
- Students understand that we can manage our classroom waste better with a well planned and managed set of waste bins.
- Students recognise that containers are things used for holding waste material (these can be boxes, bins, buckets or skips).
Year 1 English:
- Engage in conversations and discussions, using active listening behaviours, showing interest, and contributing ideas, information and questions (ACELY1656)
- Create short imaginative and informative texts that show emerging use of appropriate text structure, sentence-level grammar, word choice, spelling, punctuation and appropriate multimodal elements, for example illustrations and diagrams (ACELY1661)
Year 1 Science:
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE022)
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways such as oral and written language, drawing and role play (ACSIS029)
Year 2 English
- Listen for specific purposes and information, including instructions, and extend students’ own and others’ ideas in discussions (ACELY1666)
- Create short imaginative, informative and persuasive texts using growing knowledge of text structures and language features for familiar and some less familiar audiences, selecting print and multimodal elements appropriate to the audience and purpose (ACELY1671)
Year 2 Science
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE035)
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways such as oral and written language, drawing and role play (ACSIS042)
Topic: Solid Waste
Time required: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – facilitate activity.
Resources required: Art materials, pens, pencils, paper, cameras and access to a computer and printer, student worksheet.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Safety: Students follow class safety code.
Keywords: Waste, school, classroom, bins, recycling.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.