Quick summary: In this activity, students learn about the concept of environmental footprints. They will learn how to measure their impact and take steps to reduce their personal footprint. Students make comparisons between the lifestyles of Aboriginal and Torres Islander peoples prior to colonisation and the current mainstream, considering the impact of consumerism on environmental footprints.
This activity is a great way to prepare students for NAPLAN writing tasks.
- Students understand their impact on the Earth.
- Students take responsibility for their personal actions.
- Students compare the impact on our environment between the past resource use by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and our current resource use.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 5 Geography:
- The influence of people, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples, on the environmental characteristics of Australian places (ACHASSK112)
- The environmental and human influences on the location and characteristics of a place and the management of spaces within them (ACHASSK113)
Year 5 Science:
- Science involves testing predictions by gathering data and using evidence to develop explanations of events and phenomena (ACSHE081)
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE083)
- Use equipment and materials safely, identifying potential risks (ACSIS088)
Year 6 Science:
- Science involves testing predictions by gathering data and using evidence to develop explanations of events and phenomena (ACSHE098)
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE220)
- Use equipment and materials safely, identifying potential risks (ACSIS105)
Syllabus Outcomes: GE3-3, GE3-2, ST3-4WS, ST3-6PW.
Additional Cross-curriculum priorities: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures OI.6
Time required: 60 – 120 mins
Resources required: Magazines and newspapers, Student Worksheet.
Digital learning opportunities: Get your students to complete a digital footprint: WWF Footprint Calculator, www.myfootprint.org
Keywords: Food, resources, energy, waste, water, footprint, environment, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.