Quick summary: In this activity students are introduced to the topic of weather. Students begin by watching a short clip about weather and identifying the types of weather present in the video and those that are absent. Students then use photos from the Cool Australia Toolbox to create a poster or montage about weather.
- Students recognise a range of different weather types.
- Student recognise the ways that weather can affect our environment.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 1 Science
- Observable changes occur in the sky and landscape (ACSSU019)
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways such as oral and written language, drawing and role play (ACSIS029)
Year 2 Science
- Science involves asking questions about, and describing changes in, objects and events (ACSHE034)
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways such as oral and written language, drawing and role play (ACSIS042)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST1-4WS, ST1-8ES.
Topic: Climate change
Time required: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate discussion and oversee activity.
Resources required: Internet access, student worksheet, access to printer.
Digital technology opportunities: Searching for and downloading images from the Cool Australia Digital Toolbox, digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: Includes opportunities for extension.
Keywords: Weather, animals, plants, photos.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.