Quick summary: Students have a 10 to 15 minute presentation from a plumber standing around their van, ute or trailer. They are shown and demonstrated some basic tools, find out how a tap is dismantled and a washer changed and get some interesting plumbing stories.
- Students learn plumbers have special skills needed for installing and repairing plumbing fixtures.
- Students understand special tools are needed for repairing plumbing fixtures.
- Students learn a tap has a number of components, for example, when the tap washer becomes worn, the tap leaks.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 5 English
- Clarify understanding of content as it unfolds in formal and informal situations, connecting ideas to students’ own experiences and present and justify a point of view (ACELY1699)
Year 5 Science
- Scientific understandings, discoveries and inventions are used to solve problems that directly affect peoples’ lives (ACSHE083)
- With guidance, pose questions to clarify practical problems or inform a scientific investigation, and predict what the findings of an investigation might be (ACSIS231)
Year 6 English
- Participate in and contribute to discussions, clarifying and interrogating ideas, developing and supporting arguments, sharing and evaluating information, experiences and opinions (ACELY1709)
Year 6 Science
- Scientific understandings, discoveries and inventions are used to solve problems that directly affect peoples’ lives (ACSHE100)
- With guidance, pose questions to clarify practical problems or inform a scientific investigation, and predict what the findings of an investigation might be (ACSIS232)
Year levels: 5 and 6
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor/Outdoor.
Time required: 45 mins
Learning areas addressed: Geography, Civics and citizenship, Health and Physical education.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Organise a plumber and a safe location for the students to stand around their vehicle.
Resources required: A plumber, and if possible, a tap that can be assembled and disassembled by students as a post plumber visit activity.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.