Quick summary: Students will work with power output figures in watts, megawatts and horsepower. They will calculate using addition, subtraction, multiplication and division and make conversions between units of measurement. Figures are drawn from the real world operations of Hydro Tasmania.
Hydro Tasmania has been at the forefront of clean energy innovation for one hundred years. It is Australia’s largest producer of clean energy – generating hydro and wind power – and the largest water manager. Hydro Tasmania has 55 major dams, operates 30 hydropower stations and has built some of Australia’s largest wind farms.
Hydro Tasmania also sells energy in the National Electricity Market through its retail business Momentum Energy, and sells its expertise internationally through its consulting business Entura. Visit the Hydro Tasmania website to learn how the business is working towards Australia’s clean energy future.
- Students develop and practise their skills in arithmetic calculations using calculators and problem solving skills.
- Students develop skills in interpreting and working with units of measurement of energy.
General capabilities: Numeracy, Critical and creative thinking, Personal and social capability.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.8.
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 7 Mathematics
- Connect fractions, decimals and percentages and carry out simple conversions (ACMNA157).
- Find percentages of quantities and express one quantity as a percentage of another, with and without digital technologies. (ACMNA158).
Year 8 Mathematics
- Carry out the four operations with rational numbers and integers, using efficient mental and written strategies and appropriate digital technologies (ACMNA183).
- Solve problems involving the use of percentages, including percentage increases and decreases, with and without digital technologies (ACMNA187).
Topic: Hydro Tasmania, Energy.
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – oversee activity.
Resources required: Internet access, Power maths – resource sheet, calculators, Student Worksheet (one copy per student OR computers/tablets to access the online worksheet).
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: Includes opportunities for homework and extension.
Keywords: Energy, power, mathematics, Hydro Tasmania.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.