Quick summary: In this lesson, you will find out what the students know (or think they know) about Forensic Science. They will then learn what is really involved in Forensic Science and how it compares to what is portrayed in popular culture.
- Students will unpack what they already know about Forensic Science
- Students will understand the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDG) and how they are relevant to Forensic Science
- Students will understand Forensic Science and how it incorporates STEM
- Students will describe what Forensic Science is and how it is similar and different to what is portrayed in popular culture.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 10 Science:
- Scientific understanding, including models and theories, is contestable and is refined over time through a process of review by the scientific community (ACSHE191)
- People use scientific knowledge to evaluate whether they accept claims, explanations or predictions, and advances in science can affect people’s lives, including generating new career opportunities (ACSHE194)
Syllabus outcomes: SC5-12ES, SC5-13ES
General capabilities: Literacy, Critical and Creative Thinking, Ethical Understanding
Relevant parts of Year 10 achievement standards: Students evaluate the validity and reliability of claims made in secondary sources with reference to currently held scientific views, the quality of the methodology and the evidence cited. They construct evidence-based arguments and select appropriate representations and text types to communicate science ideas for specific purposes.
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work: Real-life CSI – Secondary
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitated class discussion required.
- Article (optional): CSI effect’ has juries wanting more evidence
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Sticky notes
- Student Worksheet (one copy per student).
Keywords: Forensic Science, Crime Scene Investigation, United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, STEM, STEAM, Science, CSI.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.