Quick summary: In this lesson, students will learn about DNA and how to use it as evidence in forensic investigations. Students will also learn about some of the limitations of using DNA evidence.
- Students will understand what DNA is and how to use it in forensic investigations
- Students will understand the limitations of using DNA in forensic investigations
- Students will gain a general understanding of some of the technology used to analyse DNA samples.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 10 Science:
- Transmission of heritable characteristics from one generation to the next involves DNA and genes (ACSSU184)
- Scientific understanding, including models and theories, is contestable and is refined over time through a process of review by the scientific community (ACSHE191)
- People use scientific knowledge to evaluate whether they accept claims, explanations or predictions, and advances in science can affect people’s lives, including generating new career opportunities (ACSHE194)
Syllabus outcomes: SC5-12ES, SC5-13ES, SC5-14LW
General capabilities: Literacy, Critical and Creative Thinking, Ethical Understanding
Relevant parts of Year 10 achievement standards: Students explain the processes that underpin heredity and evolution. They evaluate the validity and reliability of claims made in secondary sources with reference to currently held scientific views, the quality of the methodology and the evidence cited. They construct evidence-based arguments and select appropriate representations and text types to communicate science ideas for specific purposes.
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work work: Real-life CSI – Secondary
Time required: 65 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate class discussion and assistance with practical work required.
- A device capable of presenting a video to the class.
- Glove with a hair inside
- Hairnets (for student/s collecting the evidence)
- Labcoat (for student/s collecting the evidence)
- Magnifying glass
- Rubber gloves (for student/s collecting the evidence)
- Student Worksheet.
Keywords: Forensic Science, Crime Scene Investigation, DNA, Genetics, DNA Profiling, Gel Electrophoresis, Polymerase Chain Reaction, Evidence, STEM, Science.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.