Quick summary: This lesson reinforces students’ understanding of ethical investing by asking them to explore a case study of an ethical business (Bendigo Bank) and then demonstrate their knowledge of this concept through the creation of an infomercial.
This lesson supports students to inquire into the big idea of ‘real wealth’. Students develop an understanding of shared values, and build their sustainable and ethical financial knowledge, equipping them with the skills to make sound financial decisions based on social, environmental and economical merit.
- To consider social and environmental impact of businesses.
- To explore a case study of an ethical business.
- To demonstrate understanding of the concept ‘ethical investing’.
General capabilities: Critical and Creative Thinking, Personal and Social Capability, Ethical Understanding.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.6., OI.8.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 7 Economics and Business
- Why and how individuals and businesses plan to achieve short-term and long-term personal, organisational and financial objectives (ACHEK018)
- Why individuals work, types of work and how people derive an income (ACHEK020)
Year 8 Economics and Business
- The rights and responsibilities of consumers and businesses in Australia (ACHEK029)
Syllabus Outcomes: C4.2, C4.,3 C4.4.
Unit of lessons: Real Wealth Year 7 & 8
Time required: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Low – teachers will already have knowledge of the criteria for the previous lesson in this unit on What is an Ethical Business.
Resources required: Student Worksheet – one copy per student OR computers/tablets to access the online worksheet. Device capable of presenting a website to the class. Ethical Investment Factsheet, Infomercial Assessment Rubric, Real Wealth Cheat Sheet, Glossary – Secondary.
Digital technology opportunities: Apps/software to create infomercial, digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: Includes opportunities for extension.
Keywords: ethical, investing, infomercial.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.