Quick summary: Students are introduced to shares, the stock market and the concept of ethical investment. They will also examine the criteria used to determine whether a business is considered ‘ethical’ and investigate the ethical practices of a business listed on the Australian Ethical website.
This lesson supports students to inquire into the big idea of ‘real wealth’. Students develop an understanding of shared values, and build their sustainable and ethical financial knowledge, equipping them with the skills to make sound financial decisions based on social, environmental and economical merit.
- To develop a basic understanding of the stock market, shares and share trading.
- To consider business practices that could be considered as ‘ethical’.
- To explore the concept ‘ethical investing’.
General capabilities: Critical and Creative Thinking, Personal and Social Capability, Ethical Understanding.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.6., OI.8.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 7 Economics and Business
- Why individuals work, types of work and how people derive an income (ACHEK020)
Year 8 Economics and Business
- The ways markets operate in Australia and why they may be influenced by government (ACHEK027)
- The rights and responsibilities of consumers and businesses in Australia (ACHEK029)
Syllabus Outcomes: C4.2, C4.3, C4.4.
Unit of lessons: Real Wealth Year 7 & 8
Time required: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – teachers should familiarise themselves with the information on the ASX and Australian Ethics links beforehand.
Resources required: Student Worksheet – one copy per student OR computers/tablets to access the online worksheet. Device capable of presenting a website to the class. Stockmarket Factsheet, Ethical Investment, Real Wealth Cheat Sheet, Glossary Secondary.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: Includes opportunities for extension.
Keywords: shares, share market, stock exchange, stockbroker, ethical, investing, ethical investing.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.