Year Levels: Years 7 & 8
Topics: Sustainability, hope, community, rebuilding, resilience.
Time required: 60 mins.
In this English lesson, students will work together to establish a shared definition of hope before exploring a range of different individuals and groups who have evoked hope in a range of ways. Through their research, students develop an understanding of the power of hope to rebuild a community, create social impact, or create a more resilient country. The class are encouraged to have group conversations and articulate their personal understanding of hope within the given context.
- Students will understand the importance hope has in a resilient community.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Years 7 English:
- Compare the ways that language and images are used to create a character, and to influence emotions and opinions in different types of texts (ACELT1621).
Year 8 English:
- Recognise and explain differing viewpoints about the world, cultures, individual people and concerns represented in texts (ACELT1807).
Syllabus outcomes: EN4-8D.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability.
Relevant parts of Year 7 achievement standards:
Students explain issues and ideas from a variety of sources, analysing supporting evidence and implied meaning. They select specific details from texts to develop their own response, recognising that texts reflect different viewpoints. They listen for and explain different perspectives in texts.
Relevant parts of Year 8 achievement standards:
Students select evidence from the text to show how events, situations and people can be represented from different viewpoints. They listen for and identify different emphases in texts, using that understanding to elaborate on discussions.
Topic: Disaster and Resilience
Unit of work: Minderoo Fire and Flood
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – the teacher must facilitate class discussion.
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student
- Students require access to devices, to complete research online via the curated list of websites
- Whiteboard to collate class discussion.
Keywords: Hope, resilience, discussion, community, rebuild, disaster, social impact.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.