Quick summary: Students explore why many people live in hazard-prone areas and choose to rebuild in the wake of a natural hazard. Students will reflect on why they live where they live and investigate data to identify the resilience of their own local area in the face of a natural hazard.
Year Level: 7 & 8.
Topics: Sustainability and Climate change.
Teaching Time: 90 minutes.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 7 Geography:
- Causes, impacts and responses to an atmospheric or hydrological hazard (ACHGK042)
- Factors that influence the decisions people make about where to live and their perceptions of the liveability of places (ACHGK043).
Year 8 Geography:
- Causes, impacts and responses to a geomorphological hazard (ACHGK053)
- Spiritual, aesthetic and cultural value of landscapes and landforms for people, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples (ACHGK049).
Syllabus outcomes: GE4-2, GE4-3, GE4-4, GE4-5.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability.
Relevant parts of Year 7 Geography achievement standards:
Students describe geographical processes that influence the characteristics of places and how the characteristics of places are perceived and valued differently. They explain interconnections between people and places and environments and describe how these interconnections change places and environments.
Relevant parts of Year 8 Geography achievement standards:
Students explain geographical processes that influence the characteristics of places and explain how places are perceived and valued differently. They explain interconnections within environments and between people and places and explain how they change places and environments. They compare alternative strategies to a geographical challenge, taking into account environmental, economic and social factors.
Time required: 90 minutes.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate small group work and class discussion.
- A device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.