Activity details: Students produce a presentation for the appropriate school committee. The presentation shows what can be done to enhance the school grounds for biodiversity and at the same time improve it for students and teachers.
Key lessons and understandings of activity: Students use a presentation application to present their ideas. Students use well-organised, convincing arguments and support material to show an audience the value of their proposals.
Year level: 5 and 6
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Duration of activity: 60 – 90 mins plus presentation.
Learning areas addressed: Geography, Science, English, ICT.
Teacher input: Help students review and refine their presentation.
Resources needed: Computers.
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Keywords: biodiversity, ecosystem, conservation, planning, research.
Australian Curriculum Link:
Year 5 English:
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive print and multimodal texts, choosing text structures, language features, images and sound appropriate to purpose and audience (ACELY1704)
- Plan, rehearse and deliver presentations for defined audiences and purposes incorporating accurate and sequenced content and multimodal elements (ACELY1700)
Year 5 Science:
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS093)
Year 6 English:
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts, choosing and experimenting with text structures, language features, images and digital resources appropriate to purpose and audience (ACELY1714)
- Plan, rehearse and deliver presentations, selecting and sequencing appropriate content and multimodal elements for defined audiences and purposes, making appropriate choices for modality and emphasis (ACELY1710)
Year 6 Science:
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts(ACSIS110)]
Syllabus Outcomes: ST3-4WS, EN3-1A, EN3-2A.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.