Activity details: Animals find suitable homes in school grounds. Four activities for gathering survey data help students match how various animals use the school grounds. The focus on plants examines how animals use them.
Safety: reinforce several times that bees must never be caught and must always be avoided. Bees in Australia cause more deaths than all other combined wildlife including sharks, snakes and spiders. Student should also keep their distance from wasps.
Key lessons and understandings of activity: Comparing school ground locations by collecting data for species diversity will provide a comparison of biodiversity. Animals have special requirements to be able to live in a specific area. Students will design, collect data and analyse the data from an animal survey.
Year levels: 5 and 6
Indoor or outdoor activity: Outdoor
Duration of activity: 45 mins
Learning areas addressed: Science, English, The Arts.
Teacher input: Students will need help with collecting and analysing data.
Resources needed: Activity sheets or tablets, collecting jars or plastic petrie, dishes school ground map. Optional: binoculars.
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Keywords: biodiversity, ecosystem, conservation, audit, survey, species, weeds.
Australian Curriculum Link:
Year 5 Science:
- With guidance, pose questions to clarify practical problems or inform a scientific investigation, and predict what the findings of an investigation might be (ACSIS231)
- Compare data with predictions and use as evidence in developing explanations (ACSIS218)
Year 5 Mathematics:
- Describe and interpret different data sets in context (ACMSP120)
Year 6 Science:
- With guidance, pose questions to clarify practical problems or inform a scientific investigation, and predict what the findings of an investigation might be (ACSIS232)
- Compare data with predictions and use as evidence in developing explanations (ACSIS221)
Year 6 Mathematics:
- Interpret and compare a range of data displays, including side-by-side column graphs for two categorical variables (ACMSP147)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST3-4WS, ST3-10LW, ST3-11LW.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.