Quick summary: This activity is designed for foundation year students to become familiar with their school ground using 10 structured activities. They will explore different aspects of their school ground that encompass many concepts they are developing. Teachers will find that some of their students’ school ground issues may crop up while outdoors which can then be addressed.
- The environment can be explored and described.
- A range of senses can be used to explore the environment.
- Students need to look after their school ground.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.1, OI.2.
Australian Curriculum content description:
- Living things have basic needs, including food and water (ACSSU002)
- Daily and seasonal changes in our environment, including the weather, affect everyday life (ACSSU004)
- Science involves exploring and observing the world using the senses (ACSHE013)
- Explore and make observations by using the senses (ACSIS011)
- Share observations and ideas (ACSIS012)
Syllabus outcomes: STe-4WS, STe-8NE, STe-7NE.
Time required: Duration of activity at teachers discretion.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – lead students in activities.
Resources required: Art and writing materials.
Digital technology opportunities: N/A.
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Keywords: Nature, environment, biodiversity, school, animals, birds, plants.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.