- Students understand that food webs are representations of the energy flow within an ecosystem.
- Students understand that a food web diagram helps explain the relationships between groups of different organisms.
- Students recognise that food web diagrams can help explain the consequences when elements within a food web change.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.2.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 5 Science:
- Living things have structural features and adaptations that help them to survive in their environment (ACSSU043)
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS093)
Year 6 Science:
- The growth and survival of living things are affected by the physical conditions of their environment (ACSSU094)
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS110)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST3-4WS, ST3-10LW, ST3-11LW.
Time required: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – Lead students in activities and ask questions throughout the activities.
Resources required: Internet access, white board. Student Worksheet – one copy per student.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity has opportunities for extension.
Keywords: biodiversity, ecosystem, conservation, food web, food chain, interactions, connection.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.