Quick summary: Students will collect data about the school’s plumbing. Using their data they will report on ways the plumbing can be improved so less water is wasted.
- Students collect data about the school plumbing.
- Students identify areas where improvements could be made to save water.
- Students write a report with recommendations.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 5 Science
- Decide which variable should be changed and measured in fair tests and accurately observe, measure and record data, using digital technologies as appropriate (ACSIS087)
- Compare data with predictions and use as evidence in developing explanations (ACSIS218)
Year 5 Mathematics
- Pose questions and collect categorical or numerical data by observation or survey (ACMSP118)
Year 6 Science
- Decide which variable should be changed and measured in fair tests and accurately observe, measure and record data, using digital technologies as appropriate (ACSIS104)
- Compare data with predictions and use as evidence in developing explanations (ACSIS221)
Year 6 Mathematics
- Interpret and compare a range of data displays, including side-by-side column graphs for two categorical variables (ACMSP147)
Year levels: 5 and 6
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor/Outdoor
Time required: 90 mins
Learning areas addressed: Geography, Health and physical education (ICT if students use the online student worksheet).
Level of teacher scaffolding: Assist students with analyzing data.
Resources required: Data record sheets and writing materials.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.