Quick summary: Students bring all their investigations together and build a proposed water policy for their school. If the school has a water policy they review the policy and report on how effective it is and what amendments are required.
- Students develop a draft policy that will lead to the school using less water.
- Students produce a communication tool to present the draft policy.
- Students identify how the school can solve water related issues that is part of all of society’s responsibility.
- Students provide evidence of the existing problems.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 7 Science
- Communicate ideas, findings and solutions to problems using scientific language and representations using digital technologies as appropriate (ACSIS133)
- Use scientific knowledge and findings from investigations to evaluate claims (ACSIS132)
Year 7 English
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts, selecting aspects of subject matter and particular language, visual, and audio features to convey information and ideas (ACELY1725)
Year 8 Science
- Communicate ideas, findings and solutions to problems using scientific language and representations using digital technologies as appropriate (ACSIS148)
- Use scientific knowledge and findings from investigations to evaluateclaims (ACSIS234)
Year 8 English
- Create imaginative, informative and persuasive texts that raise issues, report events and advance opinions, using deliberate language and textual choices, and including digital elements as appropriate (ACELY1736)
Syllabus Outcomes: SC4-9WS, SC4-8WS, EN4-4B.
Year levels: 7 and 8
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 60 + mins
Learning areas addressed: Science, Geography, Health and physical education.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Lead discussion.
Resources required: Computer equipment.
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.