Quick summary: In this activity children are asked to investigate what plants need to grow and survive and how this can be related to what humans need to grow and survive. Children dance along to the dirtgirlworld song Grow Up and role-play a seed growing into a plant. They then plant some seeds for themselves, water their seeds and watch their seeds grow into plants. This activity has been developed to give children the opportunity to explore activities around mindfulness, nature and personal well being.
Following this activity is an ideal way for children to participate in Planet Ark’s Schools Tree Day – the largest nature-care event in Australian schools. You and your children will join thousands of amazing educators and teachers in making a difference, fostering a child’s love of nature and creating positive environmental change. So, get growing! It only takes a minute to register for Schools Tree Day.
EYLF Learning Outcome
Outcome 2: Children are connected with and contribute to their world
3. Children become socially responsible and show respect for the environment
Outcome 3: Children have a strong sense of wellbeing
1. Children become strong in their social and emotional wellbeing
Outcome 4: Children are involved and confident learners
1. Children develop dispositions for learning such as curiosity, cooperation, confidence, creativity, commitment, enthusiasm, persistence, imagination and reflexivity
2. Children develop a range of skills and processes such as problem solving, enquiry, experimentation, hypothesising, researching and investigating
4. Children resource their own learning through connecting with people, place, technologies and natural and processed materials
Resources needed: Small growing tubs such as egg cartons or toilet rolls, a range of different seeds (e.g. sunflower, lettuce or radish), potting mix, spoons for digging soil, large tray to place tubs into so they can be moved around, and water. See How to plant a seed.
- Schools Tree Day – Early Learning – People Trees
- Schools Tree Day – Early Learning – Get to know a tree
- Early Learning – Grow a tree
Cool Australia would like to acknowledge the support of the Seedlings Early Years Education for Sustainability (EYEfS) program.