Quick summary: Students explore the relationship between time spent in nature and their personal health and wellbeing. They begin by watching a short video and analysing how the message within it is conveyed. Students explore their own understanding and experiences of health and wellbeing then plan and create a short film that shares the benefits of time in nature. Teachers are encouraged to share the videos with Planet Ark.
This lesson is an ideal way for students to participate in Planet Ark’s Schools Tree Day – the largest nature-care event in Australian schools. You and your students will join thousands of amazing teachers in making a difference, fostering a child’s love of nature and creating positive environmental change. So, get growing! It only takes a minute to register for Schools Tree Day.
- Students understand that spending time in nature can benefit their health.
- Students will consider some things they can do to improve their own wellbeing.
- Students will understand how humour can be used to convey a serious message.
- Students will be able to use film to convey their own message about the benefits of nature.
Year 2 English
- Use comprehension strategies to build literal and inferred meaning and begin to analyse texts by drawing on growing knowledge of context, language and visual features and print and multimodal text structures (ACELY1670)
- Create short imaginative, informative and persuasive texts using growing knowledge of text structures and language features for familiar and some less familiar audiences, selecting print and multimodal elements appropriate to the audience and purpose (ACELY1671)
Year 5 English
- Use comprehension strategies to analyse information, integrating and linking ideas from a variety of print and digital sources (ACELY1703)
- Plan, rehearse and deliver presentations for defined audiences and purposes incorporating accurate and sequenced content and multimodal elements (ACELY1700)
Year 6 English
- Understand how authors often innovate on text structures and play with language features to achieve particular aesthetic, humorous and persuasive purposes and effects (ACELA1518)
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts, choosing and experimenting with text structures, language features, images and digital resources appropriate to purpose and audience (ACELY1714)
- Plan, rehearse and deliver presentations, selecting and sequencing appropriate content and multimodal elements for defined audiences and purposes, making appropriate choices for modality and emphasis (ACELY1710)
Year 1 & 2 Health and Physical Education
- Recognise situations and opportunities to promote health, safety and wellbeing (ACPPS018)
Year 3 & 4 Health and Physical Education
- Discuss and interpret health information and messages in the media and internet (ACPPS039)
Year 5 & 6 Health and Physical Education
- Explore how participation in outdoor activities supports personal and community health and wellbeing and creates connections to natural and built environments (ACPPS059)
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.2.
Topic: Schools Tree Day
Time required: 120 minutes
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – oversee activity and assist with creating short film.
Resources required: Student Worksheet – one copy per student OR computers/tablets to access the online worksheet. Phone/tablet/camera to film short video, butcher’s paper, textas, How to make a short film help sheet, Storyboard template, Peer assessment rubric – Film.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities, Creating with ICT, Communicating with ICT.
Keywords: nature, wellbeing, devices, filmmaking, humour, Planet Ark.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.