Quick summary: In this SMARTboard activity students explore the importance of nature and trees. They gain literacy skills by building understanding of vocabulary relating to nature and everyday experiences.
Following this SMARTboard lesson is an ideal way for your school to take part in the largest nature-care event in Australian schools, Planet Ark’s Schools Tree Day. You’ll be joining thousands of amazing educators in making a difference, fostering a child’s love of nature and creating positive environmental change.So, get growing! Register here.
- Students role-play the growth of a plant from seed to tree using dance;
- Students will engage in vocabulary exercises around the theme of nature;
- Students investigate nature at their school; and
- Students create their own nature scene.
- SMART Response Questions;
- Use the SMARTboard to complete vocabulary exercises; and
- Create a nature scene on the SMARTboard.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Cross-curricular priorities: Sustainability
- OI.3 – Sustainable patterns of living rely on the interdependence of healthy social, economic and ecological systems.
- OI.6 – The sustainability of ecological, social and economic systems is achieved through informed individual and community action that values local and global equity and fairness across generations into the future.
- OI.9 – Sustainable futures result from actions designed to preserve and/or restore the quality and uniqueness of environments.
- Recognise the letters of the alphabet and know there are lower and upper case letters (ACELA1440)
- Listen to and respond orally to texts and to the communication of others in informal and structured classroom situations (ACELY1646)
- Use interaction skills including listening while others speak, using appropriate voice levels, articulation and body language, gestures and eye contact (ACELY1784)
- Living things have basic needs, including food and water (ACSSU002)
- Objects are made of materials that have observable properties (ACSSU003)
- Science involves exploring and observing the world using the senses (ACSHE013)
- Engage in discussions about observations and use methods such as drawing to represent ideas (ACSIS233)
- Share observations and ideas (ACSIS012)
Foundation The Arts – Dance
- Explore, improvise and organise ideas to make dance sequences using the elements of dance (ACADAM001)
For more information see http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/
Download the file below!