Quick summary: In this SMARTboard activity students explore the importance of nature and trees. They gain literacy skills by building understanding of vocabulary relating to nature and everyday experiences.
Following this SMARTboard lesson is an ideal way for students to participate in Planet Ark’s Schools Tree Day – the largest nature-care event in Australian schools. You and your students will join thousands of amazing teachers in making a difference, fostering a child’s love of nature and creating positive environmental change. So, get growing! It only takes a minute to register for Schools Tree Day.
- Students investigate nature at their school;
- Students will participate in vocabulary exercises on the theme of nature;
- Students examine the differences between living and non-living things;
- Students describe the requirements for living things to survive; and
- Students will identify natural habitat zones within the school grounds and create a plan to improve these areas.
- SMART Response Questions;
- Use the SMARTboard to complete vocabulary exercises;
- Create a checklist for recognising living things and differentiate between living and non-living things using the drag and drop function;
- Create an image showing what living things need to survive using the drag and drop function; and
- Use an embedded webpage to identify school habitat zones.
Cross-curricular priority: Sustainability
- OI.3 – Sustainable patterns of living rely on the interdependence of healthy social, economic and ecological systems.
- OI.6 – The sustainability of ecological, social and economic systems is achieved through informed individual and community action that values local and global equity and fairness across generations into the future.
- OI.9 – Sustainable futures result from actions designed to preserve and/or restore the quality and uniqueness of environments.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 3 Science
- Living things can be grouped on the basis of observable features and can be distinguished from non-living things (ACSSU044)
Year 3 Geography
- Locate and collect information and data from different sources, including observations (ACHASSI053)
- Record, sort and represent data and the location of places and their characteristics in different formats, including simple graphs, tables and maps, using discipline-appropriate conventions (ACHASSI054)
Year 4 Science
- Living things, including plants and animals, depend on each other and the environment to survive (ACSSU073)
Year 4 Geography
- Locate and collect information and data from different sources, including observations (ACHASSI074)
- Record, sort and represent data and the location of places and their characteristics in different formats, including simple graphs, tables and maps, using discipline-appropriate conventions (ACHASSI075)
For more information see http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/
Download the file below!