Quick summary: In this activity students explore the idea of food webs by investigating local marine food webs. They are asked to create a short film or animation that describes the food web they investigated and to present this film to the class for assessment.
Following this lesson plan is an ideal way for your school to introduce Zoos Victoria’s Seal the Loop program. You’ll be joining other amazing teachers in making a difference and creating positive environmental change. Go to Zoo Education Online to find further support for you to help you develop your own Seal the Loop program.
- Students understand what is meant by food chain, food web, trophic level and trophic relationships.
- Students understand that marine ecosystems are comprised of unique food webs and trophic relationships.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking,
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 7 Science:
- Interactions between organisms can be described in terms of food chains and food webs; human activity can affect these interactions (ACSSU112)
- Summarise data, from students’ own investigations and secondary sources, and use scientific understanding to identify relationships and draw conclusions (ACSIS130)
Year 7 Media Arts:
- Develop and refine media production skills to shape the technical and symbolic elements of images, sounds and text for a specific purpose and meaning (ACAMAM068)
- Plan, structure and design media artworks that engage audiences (ACAMAM069)
Syllabus Outcomes: SC4-7WS, SC4-15LW.
Topic: Seal the Loop
Time required: 2 x 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate discussion and oversee activity.
Resources required: Student worksheet, Internet access, access to local zoo or marine centre (optional).
Digital technology opportunities: Short film or animation creation, digital sharing capabilites,.
Homework and extension opportunities: Includes opportunities for extension.
Keywords: Marine, ocean, food web, food chain, trophic level, conservation.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.