- identify and describe the structure of seeds
- discover the role of seeds in plant life cycles
- harvest, clean, store and propagate seeds from the garden
- recognise simple patterns in data and describe their conclusions.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Australian Curriculum Content description
Year 5 Science
- Living things have structural features and adaptations that help them to survive in their environment (ACSSU043)
- With guidance, plan appropriate investigation methods to answer questions or solve problems (ACSIS086)
Year 6 Science
- The growth and survival of living things are affected by the physical conditions of their environment (ACSSU094)
- With guidance, plan appropriate investigation methods to answer questions or solve problems (ACSIS103)
Syllabus outcomes: ST3-4WS, ST3-10LW, ST3-11LW.
Time required: Six tasks; 60 minutes each.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High
Resources required: Plants with seeds ready to harvest, coloured wool, markers, paper bags.
Digital tech opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities
Key words: Seeds, harvest, seasons, planting, adaptations
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
Adapted from LandLearn: Learning in the Garden