Quick summary: In this lesson, students are introduced to the topics of farming and agriculture and their relationship to the Royal Melbourne Show. Students begin by thinking about different types of farming and are introduced to the term ‘agriculture’. They then look at the agricultural components of the Show, and work in groups to undertake research into how these components are connected to farming and agriculture. Students create a presentation to share their research with the class.
This lesson has been developed in partnership with The Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria. For over 160 years, The Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria (RASV) has been running the Royal Melbourne Show which, like other agricultural shows around the country, works to build the community’s knowledge and understanding of the vital role agriculture plays in our everyday lives.
To gain access to a special student ticket offer for the 2018 Royal Melbourne Show see the Teacher Worksheet.
- Students understand that there are many different types of farming and farming activities.
- Students understand how agriculture differs from farming.
- Students understand the agricultural dimensions of the Show.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 3 HASS
- Locate and collect information and data from different sources, including observations (ACHASSI053)
- Present ideas, findings and conclusions in texts and modes that incorporate digital and non-digital representations and discipline-specific terms (ACHASSI061)
Year 4 HASS
- Locate and collect information and data from different sources, including observations (ACHASSI074)
- Present ideas, findings and conclusions in texts and modes that incorporate digital and non-digital representations and discipline-specific terms (ACHASSI082)
Years 3 & 4 Design and Technologies
- Investigate food and fibre production and food technologies used in modern and traditional societies (ACTDEK012)
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Relevant parts of Year 3 HASS achievement standards: Students locate and collect information from sources and communicate their ideas, findings and conclusions in oral, visual and written forms using simple discipline-specific terms.
Relevant parts of Year 4 HASS achievement standards: Students locate and collect information and data from different sources and present ideas, findings and conclusions using discipline-specific terms in a range of communication forms.
Relevant parts of Year 3 & 4 Design and Technologies achievement standards: Students explain how products, services and environments are designed to best meet needs of communities and their environments.
Time required: 60 min.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – facilitate class discussion and guide students in conducting online research and creating presentations.
Resources required: Student Worksheets – one copy per student. A device capable of presenting a video to the class. Question Sheet – What is Farming?.
Keywords: The Show, farming, agriculture, presentation.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.