Quick summary: Students investigate what happens when people’s activities result in water pollution. Pollution on land is simulated with the addition of easily obtained materials in a clear bowl of water. Students make links with retaining healthy waterways with preventing polluting substances from reaching them.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- Many substances can pollute rivers and other waterways.
- Governments have restrictions to prevent waterways from becoming polluted.
- Things that we as individuals do can contribute to pollution if we dispose of things inappropriately.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 3 English
- Use comprehension strategies to build literal and inferred meaning and begin to evaluate texts by drawing on a growing knowledge of context, text structures and language features (ACELY1680)
- Listen to and contribute to conversations and discussions to share information and ideas and negotiate in collaborative situations (ACELY1676)
Year 3 Science
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE051)
Year 4 English
- Use comprehension strategies to build literal and inferred meaning to expand content knowledge, integrating and linking ideas and analysing and evaluating texts (ACELY1692)
- Interpret ideas and information in spoken texts and listen for key points in order to carry out tasks and use information to share and extend ideas and information (ACELY1687)
Year 4 Science
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE062)
Year levels: 3 and 4
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 45+ mins
Learning areas addressed: Science, Geography.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Preparation of activity required, lead the activity, facilitate group discussion.
Resources required: This activity requires considerable preparation – please see the Preparation Sheet under Teacher Worksheet.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for extension.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.