In this lesson, students will take social action around the issue of how sugar impacts our health and wellbeing. They will organise a Good Health Snack-Fest, where, working in groups, they will choose and prepare a healthy snack or drink recipe, invite attendees to the event, organise the event, and prepare and deliver a presentation that informs attendees about the importance of consuming food and drinks with high nutritional value.
- Students will know how to reduce sugar in their food and drink
- Students will understand how to educate others about a health issue
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 7 & 8 Health and Physical Education
- Investigate and select strategies to promote health, safety and wellbeing (ACPPS073)
- Plan and use health practices, behaviours and resources to enhance health, safety and wellbeing of their communities (ACPPS077)
Relevant parts of Year 7 & 8 Health and Physical Education achievement standards: Students investigate strategies and practices that enhance their own, others’ and community health, safety and wellbeing. They demonstrate skills to make informed decisions, and propose and implement actions that promote their own and others’ health, safety and wellbeing.
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work SugarByHalf – HPE – Years 7-8.
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – support class to organise and host an event.
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student.
- Event Organisation Checklist (one per group of 2-3 students).
- PART A:
- Ingredients, utensils and appropriate room (i.e. Food Tech classroom) to prepare snacks and drinks.
- Web enabled devices (enough for one between three students) OR recipe books (they must have no/low sugar recipes in them).
- PART B:
- Paper, pens, pencils for creation of event invitations/posters and information posters.
- Space to host the Good Health Snack Fest.
- PART C:
- Device with word processing software, printer, paper and stapler for creation of Good Health Snack-Fest recipe booklet (optional).
- PART D:
- Paper and creative supplies as listed in Part B.
Keywords: Sugar, health, nutrition, food and drink, community engagement, event, party, presentation, planning.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.