A fierce war is raging in the deepest darkest region of… your mouth! The Sneaky Sugar Army leads its attack on the Royal Teeth.
Who will save them?
Fortunately, the Guardians of the Gums are on hand to defeat plaque wherever it rears its ugly head. These heroes don’t need superpowers to take care of teeth, and neither do students!
This lesson is an accessible, engaging and informative way to get young students thinking about oral hygiene and dental care. Each Guardian has a unique role in taking care of teeth, enabling students to create strong associations with their own oral hygiene routines.
- … understand ways to look after their teeth.
- Topic: Oral Health.
- This lesson is part of the wider unit of work SugarByHalf – Guardians of the Gums – Early Learning to Year 2.
- Time required: 45 mins.
- Level of teacher scaffolding: Low – read the story, facilitate class discussion, support students working independently.
- Keywords: teeth, brushing, toothpaste, oral health, dental hygiene, habits, gums.
To view our Australian Curriculum alignment click here.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
- Art supplies – coloured pencil and textas
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Devices capable of creating digital media, such as an iPad or laptop – (optional) one per student
- Guardians characters images
- Guardians of the Gums story – You can read the pdf yourself or watch the video.
- Lined paper or writing notebook.
- Teacher Slides – Available as PowerPoint slides or as a PDF. The PowerPoint includes animations so you will need to use the PowerPoint in presentation mode
- White Paper – A3 size.
These lessons were developed in partnership with SugarByHalf and the Australian Dental Association. Guardians of the Gums was written by Bee Healthy Stories; if you would like to see more of their stories, head to beehealthystories.com.au.