Having grown with knowledge and practical tools over the course of this unit, students can now step into their roles as the newest Guardian of the Gums: the Iron Messengers. This caped crusader’s super-powered ability is communication – handy for the capstone lesson of the Guardians of the Gums unit.
Students will think creatively to apply their understanding of best practice oral hygiene and dental care in the creation of an advertising campaign informing the community about the need to look after their teeth and gums.
Royal Teeth the world over will be thankful for the protection!
- … understand ways to look after their teeth.
- … take action on oral care and dental hygiene.
- Topic: Oral Health.
- This lesson is part of the wider unit of work SugarByHalf – Guardians of the Gums – Early Learning to Year 2.
- Time required: 45 mins.
- Level of teacher scaffolding: High – read the story, facilitate class discussion. Students will require a high level of support with design and communication choices during independent work.
- Keywords: teeth, brushing, toothpaste, oral health, dental hygiene, habits, creative, art, engaging, real world, social action.
To view our Australian Curriculum alignment click here.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
- Art Supplies – Coloured pencils and textas
- Dental Care Facts Sheet
- Device capable of creating digital media, such as an iPad or Laptop (optional) – one per student
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Guardians Example Poster
- Guardians characters images
- Guardians of the Gums story – You can read the pdf yourself or watch the video.
- White Paper – A3 size.
These lessons were developed in partnership with SugarByHalf and the Australian Dental Association. Guardians of the Gums was written by Bee Healthy Stories; if you would like to see more of their stories, head to beehealthystories.com.au.